“Property developer, John Eldridge commissioned James Wells for his directness and integrity of his approach”.
The Architects’ Journal
This scheme involved the conversion of two warehouses into three self-contained office units. One was a robust Edwardian red brick industrial building with stone dressings. The second was a 1980s double height brick shed with crude glazing and garage doors to the front. The challenge was to unite these two buildings to form a coherent whole.
Bespoke light fittings were designed and installed throughout both buildings to give the tenant both general and focused lighting. Service areas were created with the insertion of elegantly designed timber pods into the original shell. A courtyard of silver birch trees has been formed at the rear in order to maximise available daylight and allow cross ventilation.
This speculative development was sold prior to completion to an owner-occupier in the music industry.
The original St John’s Lodge was a large 1894, Grade II listed Arts and Crafts, Edwardian country house. JWA was commissioned to…
JWA is a dedicated team of architects working with James Wells. Based in West Sussex we design for new build homes, extensions, barn conversions and orchestrate plans for historically important listed buildings to work in the 21st Century. Our sister practice James Wells Commercial handles design for commercial projects including hotels, bars, restaurants and offices.